- This event has passed.
In Person Portland Ukulele Jam
August 12 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm PDT
This in person Portland ukulele jam is a great chance for players of all levels to connect and sing and play together. As jam leader, I keep the mood light and joyful, and provide light instruction for tougher songs, as needed. I encourage everyone to pick the challenge that feels right for them that particular day, and provide examples of different ways to approach those tougher songs, so everyone can find a way in.
Important Note: This jam will take place OUTDOORS. Please come prepared to be outside. We’ll take care to spread out, and all are welcome to wear a mask if you prefer.
Here are the details for our July In Person Portland Ukulele Jam:
- Friday, August 12 – 6:00-8:00pm
- W Hills UU Fellowship in SW Portland
- Registration recommended, donations gratefully accepted, all are welcome …
- Register here to get the songbook, specific location instructions, and other important event details
- What to Bring: Your ukulele (of course), a camp chair and portable music stand if you have them, and a printed copy of our 2022 Jam Songbook if you have it. We’ll have extras of everything, except – perhaps – ukuleles. 🙂
- Optional: Bring a simple snack or beverage to share (no alcohol, please)
As mentioned above, you’ll receive a PDF copy of the songbook once you’ve registered. Paper copies will also be available on site. With the invaluable help of our beloved online jam “chatsistant” Lois Leveen, I’ve done my best to put together a songbook that represents a variety of genres, songwriters, and musical traditions. I’ve also tried to make sure we’ve got songs you won’t find at most other ukulele jams. For example, we’ve got everything from folk favorites from The Carter Family to an ukulele adaption of “The Wind Cries Mary”, by Jimi Hendrix. We’ll play “Bring Me Little Water Sylvie”, by early 20th century songwriter Leadbelly, and then “Closer to Fine” by late 20th century rockers The Indigo Girls.
… And everything in between …
Do you have a suggestion for our songbook? I am always eager and interested to learn new songs, artists, music traditions. Let me know here.
I’m so excited to play music with you all in person again! Hope to see you there.