Get ready for some Whitney Houston, Gloria Estefan, Nanci Griffith, Joan Jett, Cyndi Lauper, Kate Wolf, Dolly Parton, and whoever else shows up to the party … We are taking our ukuleles into new territory this term: to the landscape of music written and performed by women in the 1980s!
This class is part of my ukulele theme study series. Classes in this series feature a different topic of study each term – genre, style, artist, etc. – as applied to the ukulele.
80s Ladies for Ukulele is a mixed-level ukulele class for players of various learning styles and experience. We’ll learn a variety of songs, expanding our repertoire of musical skills and technique in the process. For example, we’ll learn some new chords, various strumming / fingerpicking patterns, and occasional riffs and fills to complement our playing.
I recommend 80s Ladies for Ukulele for players who are comfortable with:
- playing 4-chord songs in the keys of C, D, G and A
- a couple basic strum patterns (Standard, Swing, Calypso)
- taking risks to learn new techniques
Live online classes meet on Zoom:
- Wednesdays 10:00-11:00am OR 5:00-6:00pm PT (check your time zone here)
- 8 weeks: April 26 – June 14
- Registered participants receive a meeting link to use for the entire term, as well as weekly recap emails and practice videos.
Live in person classes meet in Portland, OR:
- Thursdays, 7:15-8:15pm
- 8 weeks: April 27 – June 15
- Lincoln St. Methodist Church: 5145 SE Lincoln St., SE Portland
- Registered participants receive weekly recap emails and practice videos.
Those unable to attend class times but still interested in taking the class may also take the class by EMAIL. Registered participants receive a weekly email with materials, instructions, and practice video links. Please use the drop-down menu above to select your desired “cohort”.
About the Instructor
Learn more about me here. 🙂
There are no reviews yet.