We’ve all joined in on sing-alongs like Swing Low, Sweet Chariot and Michael, Row the Boat Ashore. But I bet you don’t know about the group of young singers from Tennessee who are largely responsible for the fact that you know these songs. Join me this summer for Ukulele Campfire: Songs of the Fisk Jubilee Singers!
Ukulele Campfire: Songs of the Fisk Jubilee Singers is a mixed-level ukulele class for players of various learning styles and experience.
This class is part of my ukulele by ear series. Classes in this series focus on tips and techniques for learning and playing a song *without* music. Each term features a different theme or genre of music, but most songs come from traditional folk music traditions of the past and from all over the world.
I recommend Ukulele Campfire for players who are comfortable with:
- playing 3-chord songs in the keys of C, D, G and A
- a couple basic strum patterns (Standard, Swing, Calypso)
- taking risks to learn new techniques and materials
In 1871, the original Fisk Jubilee Singers toured the American South to raise funds for their school. Fisk University was the first American university open to all students regardless of race, and offered important educational opportunities to former slaves. These young singers contributed greatly to the preservation and mainstream knowledge of what we call “spirituals”: songs of hope, faith, and overcoming struggle.
In our Ukulele Campfire class, we’ll learn songs made famous by the Fisk Jubilee Singers, likely including Wade in the Water, When the Saints Go Marching In, and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.
What are your favorite spirituals? I’m always open to incorporating requests into our class material – let me know here.
This class will meet in several cohorts:
Live online on Zoom:
- Wednesdays, 10:00-11:00am PDT
- 6 weeks: July 6 – August 10
- Registered participants receive a meeting link to use for the entire term, as well as weekly recap emails and practice videos.
Live in person and *OUTDOORS* in Portland, OR:
- Tuesdays, 5:00-6:15pm at Lincoln St United Methodist in SE Portland
- Wednesdays, 5:00-6:15pm at W Hills UU Fellowship in SW Portland
- 4 weeks: July 19/20 – August 9/10
- Registered participants will receive location details, as well as weekly recap emails and practice videos.
PLEASE NOTE: The Zoom cohort meets 6 weeks, while the in person cohort meets only 4 weeks.
Those unable to attend class times but still interested in taking the class may also take the class by EMAIL. Registered participants receive a weekly email with materials, instructions, and practice video links. Please use the drop-down menu above to select your desired “cohort”.
About the Instructor
Learn more about me here. 🙂